The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Monday, January 02, 2006

How does 2.6 GB (and growing) online personal archive sound to you?

I was just going through a couple of newslinks on a weekly newsletter when I happened to chance on a headline that sounded more like magic. Accessing your gmail account like it were a share drive. Now, does that mean... all that 2.6+ GB space that I have on the virtual world can be used just like an extended hard disk? U betcha!

Just when USB thumb drives (a.k.a flash drives) were getting in vogue, Gmail comes up with a HUGE virtual space that I can call my own and access it from any computer. While those flashy thumb drives have their own distinct advantage in being portable, these online drives offer a great new advantage that we IT folks always look forward to. But then, your gmail account is not going to play the stored MP3 songs and play FM radio like many thumb drives do today. :-) I cannot take my GmailDrive to the gym... but why do I care. I can use either for their unique purposes. And there lies the unique advantage offered by each of the above devices or say, options.

What is technology and internet bringing us to, finally? I cannot even imagine. I know one thing for sure. And I have been saying this before as well. Technologies, Life, Necessities, Communications... everything will move towards convergence. And there would be a time when everything that you need and do would be provided and done with a unified device. Ah! Not everything... ;-) Most of the things... Rest is left to your imagination!

Click here to read more: Using your Gmail Account as a Virtual Drive

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home