The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy Birthday, Rahman.

A R Rahman. The name evokes strong memories, near and far. It brings to me the image of the person who made me take a serious note of Tamil film music. Music that crossed boundaries, languages, nations and even time. I bet there is no one who would say they do not like "Chinna Chinna Aasai" anymore. Such is the effect created by Rahman.


A R Rahman - The Enigma
Pic courtesy: Answers.com

Rahman! Someone who appealed to both the aficionados and the general populace. Someone who could compose a song like "Bombay Theme" that can well up your eyes, make you dance like a dervish to a song like "Yunhi Chala Chal Raahi", close your eyes and allow yourself to be mesmerised with songs like "Vellai Pookal", puff up your chest with patriotism while listening to "Bharat Humko Jaan Se Pyaara Hai", tap your foot and begin dancing when "Humma Humma" blares on the speakers and not the last definitely, someone who can compose "Ennavale Adi Ennavale" with deep Carnatic influences.

You cannot afford to ignore him. He has seeped into the psyches of many of us. Given us songs to hum to in any mood of our life. And he continues to break new grounds. Composing for "Bombay Dreams", a Chinese movie "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" and many more accomplishments which make him the musical ambassador from India. The word "Rahmantic" was coined to give a feel of what ARR could do to you with his music. Feel Rahmantic.

Way back in late 1992, when my youngest Aunt was getting married in Mumbai, I heard the strains of something that vaguely sounded like the Garden Varelli tune. It was the song "Kaadhal Rojave". I got hooked to it. Few days later, when our family was visiting my new uncle's home in Chembur, I asked my uncle if he knew which song was it. He told me I was probably talking about the new movie "Roja". Somebody offered a Walkman and the cassette, and I spent rest of the afternoon listening to "Roja" soundtrack, walking in the garden behind their home. I do not remember how many times I heard that cassette back to back. The battery died out on me. Else, I might have continued endlessly.

Few days later, news articles appear in the papers and talk about the new MD on the block - A R Rahman. Some talked about it as if he were a flash in the pan. Some talked about it in awe and said that a new era has been brought forth in the Indian Music Industry. Soothsayers, Naysayers... I do not have to add anything more. You know what ARR is today. Period. They do not call him Madras Mozart just like that. He has ardent admirers from the West like Richard Corliss, a TIME columnist. He wrote an article on TIME which I guess is probably one of the best articles written on ARR. Do check it out, if you havent already.

13-14 years later, ARR still mesmerises me like he did the first time with Roja. Latest? RDB and Water. Water - like I mentioned before - is a puritan's treat. ARR made me a puritan. Water is the treat that he has offered to lap it up. And I comply. :-)

On this day - 6 Jan 2006, on behalf of legions of hardcore fans, I wish you a very Happy Birthday, Rahman. Thanks to you for having enriched all of our lives with your genius. You are eternal in all our hearts.

For more blog posts on ARR's 40th birthday:
1. Ferrari's blog: Isai Puyal
2. Lazygeek's blog: Happy Birthday Dude! - A R Rahman


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written. I think almost every one must have had similar experience as you did when they heard 'Roja' for first time.

I surely did, I stopped in shock as I heard the song 'Puthu vellai malzhai', once when walking in pondy bazaar, chennai and got hooked just from that second. No looking back from then on.

Fri Jan 06, 03:18:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Mysorean said...

"Water"? Released in India? Please let me in on some details if yes.

Fri Jan 06, 03:56:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rubic_Cube said...

Prasad. I agree, in toto. That was the beginning... like the realisation of the Universe's largeness! Thanks for visiting by!

Fri Jan 06, 04:19:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rubic_Cube said...

adi, i got water songs from a friend and since then it has been a daily staple diet. especially songs like "naina neer bahai" and "bangari marori meri"... as far as the official release is concerned, am not too sure about it. chk at coolgoose.

Fri Jan 06, 04:20:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sridhar Raman said...

Well written! A huge thanks indeed to Him.

Sat Jan 07, 01:24:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home