The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Supremo vs. Underdog

I have not been posting enough for a quite a while now. Between watching cricket, tennis and work, I have not been finding the kind of leisurely time. Anyways, I do not want to talk about Cricket with what happened in the 2nd test at Faislabad. We have already read enough reams of print, numberous pages online and opinions about Pak 2nd innings from everybody who was a somebody once upon a long while ago. So, I would just take a break on that one.

Tennis! Now, here's some real game happening. So many wonderful matches. I loved the Baghdatis vs Nalbandian match the most. More because the former junior champion is finding his feet in the bigger version of the game. Unranked Baghdatis is giving everybody a tough time. Baghdatis had great crowd support, probably the loudest group too! He came back from losing 2 sets to Nalbandian and then win the remaining 3 sets straight.


Baghdatis exults after winning a point against Nalbandian

Tommy Haas and N Kiefer gave a great fight when they played the great Federer. Especially Haas. You should have watched that match. Haas probably pushed Federer the farthest. Just when we thought that Federer was invincible, Haas only showed that Federer too is human, though great! Federer has this uncanny knack to bring up his game to mercurial levels just when he seems to be going down, and then dazzle with the genius that possesses.


Federer acknowledges the crowd during his match with Kiefer.


The great Rod Laver was present during Federer vs Kiefer tie. They had a rendezvous earlier during French Open but did not interact. But when they met now in Aus Open, they took opportunity to interact with each other. A pic of them together.

Other great match this week was that of Grosjean vs Kiefer in the quarters tie. That was one of the best marathon matches to have graced the tournament.

Well, the Men's finals is coming up on Sunday. Federer vs Baghdatis. The Supremo vs The Underdog. I have sided Federer all this while, because I love watching him play. Baghdatis has had a great dream run this time around. Just for kicks, I would be rooting for Baghdatis in the final's game. Just to support the underdog. For all that we may speculate, if Baghdatis runs away with the Winner's title... it would be THE GREATEST UPSET of THE YEAR!

I have talked mostly about Men's Tennis, that is because I have not been watching so much of Women's Tennis. Maybe I would. Later. Another trend that I am noticing with myself is that I am gravitating more towards Tennis than Cricket. Who do I owe my thanks to? Maverick, Ferrari and Federer. :-)

All pics courtesy: Australian Open Web Portal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home