The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Friday, May 05, 2006

World's Longest Alphabetical Email Address

I took out the hostname out of the title. Because it was 63 chars long. 63 is 11 + 52. 52 is 2 times 26. 26 is the number of alphabets in the English language. So? Somebody thought that it is very creative to have a hostname like that. A-Z and then the same thing over again, followed by alphabets from 'a' to 'k'. 26 + 26 + 11. Weird? Absolutely! And probably the same reason, the promoters are able to sell the concept.

I took out the hostname again. 63 chars long hostname? I can't get over the shock yet. And that's what seems to be the USP of this email service provider.

Sign up for the World's Longest Alphabetical Email Address

Why I would not choose this email?
- I would be tired by the time I typed the hostname in my email address. Ofcourse there is a copy-paste facility available here and there. But using it practically would be enormously difficult.
- There are better ideas. Anonymous Email Addresses. (a la email address of North Dakota in the novel "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown)
- Any pride that would have been present in using a web-email facility would be completely lost. To think of having to mention this to your friends, relatives contacts... etc. To see them getting messed up, and God save you if they request you to write it down for them. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home