The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Sunday, May 28, 2006

God's Debris by Scott Adams

Well, I actually do not know where to start. Hmmm... let me give it a start though.

When I was probably 14 or 15, something in my head started to go click-whirr. It was not the sound of something gone wrong, not the sound of something gone loose. It was the sound of something that made me think and analyse. Something that started looking at everything from a metaphysical and a philosophical angle. Why, you may ask. I do not know, is my answer. It just happened, is how best I can answer your question. Anyways, since that time, I have engaged myself in many pursuits that try to seek answers to the unknown - occult, metaphysical subjects, philosophical theories and writings, reading the vedas, writings of wise men like Thiruvalluvar, Einstein etc, reading the Bhagavad Geeta, discussing at length, divining at a greater length... etc etc. All these have led me towards no certain goal, but have certainly refined my thinking process and alleviated me from a lot of daily life level issues. Because of being able to see a "big picture". To have gained the power to enjoy the inherent "goodness" in everything. To be able to look beyond the materialness and into the depth. I have not become anything different than what most know me to be as. I am not a philosopher or a saint or a preacher or something along those lines. I am just a "thinker". I love getting lost in thoughts. I love to think and reflect deep into many of the "philosophic" questions. You can call it as a mind exercise. I have also seen an obvious benefit in doing that. Being creative and inquisitive, being able to foresee issues, being able to visualise a concept etc. You do not call these side-effects. Do you?

Anyways, here's the actual reason to write all the above yada yada. Rarely has a light reading ever made me think deep and into the issues that are above commonplace. Like the existence of God (which I unquestioningly believe). Like the speed of light. Like the choice of free will. You do get to read about these in the vedas, the Bhagavad Geeta, and in other philosophical writings. But this book in question is so amazing because it discusses all those complex questions in a much simpler way. Something like having an everyday discussion with a layman. "God's Debris" by Scott Adams, the author of Dilbert comic strip.



You should read it once. You do not even have to buy it. It is available as a free PDF. If you may, you can even buy a hardcover at a local bookshop. I have read this book, and I intend to buy a hardcopy version of the same to grace my bookrack. And also for future readings. And if you want a review, here's one.

After reading this book, I am trying to divine on one question - Am I philosophically skeptical OR am I skeptically philosophical? I will let you know when I discover.

Happy Reading!

PS: There is a sequel to this book. It is called "The Religion War". If someone has read this book, please let me know. God's Debris is quite aptly named a "thought experiment". Religion War, on the contrary, has been described as a story with an actual plot happening in the near future. I am raring to have a go at it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the question about existence of God is debatable without limits. What has limits is whether everything is random or is it predictable ?
Dumb fuks as far back as 2nd century used to predict while smart asses like heisenbergs had the principle of uncertainly postulated. The truth is that everything is predictable. And it can be proved. not the time and place to discuss it but maybe someday ... just like our first chat. remember ?

Mon May 29, 03:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rubic_Cube said...

dd: yeah, i remember our first chat. for me, the biggest takeaway from the book was the seriousness of probability. it has made me spin about my axis for sometime now. "truth is that everything is predictable" - we gotta debate on that. it would have to be the focal point (or line in this case) of our discussion.

Fri Jun 02, 01:18:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home