The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Saturday, March 04, 2006

2 movies that speak of true grit and determination

1. Rudy (1993) - American Football
2. Iqbal (2005) - Cricket

I do not know if there are other such movies that talk about true grit, determination and overcoming the odds.



I saw Rudy when I was staying in Herndon, VA. It was a recommendation from a friend who is an upcoming expert on parallel cinema. Thinking that it was just another movie, I sat and watched it. I must have played it back to back 3 times, just to absorb the greatness of the movie. Rudy is the epitome of character that should build most young people today. He fights all odds, opposition from his family, nobody trusts him to make it big. His only dream is to play for the dream football team - Notre Dame. And he does everything that he can to achieve it. And he does! And how!! If you have not watched it, you should watch it. It is a must add for your movie collection.



I saw Iqbal barely a week after it was released. And I was amazed at Shreyas Talpade's acting. Naseeruddin Shah is peerless. Girish Karnad is as vile as he can be. And much the same thing happening. Dad opposing Iqbal's love for the game. Being chucked out of the cricket club. The politics of the game. What not?! And yet, Iqbal finally dons the blue jersey.

These 2 movies always rekindle the fire in me. To do more than I can, to do reset my horizon to a level that is farther than my imagination...

I only wish we have more movies like these and also that these movies get the viewership that they really should get!

PS:
1) The song "Aashayen" from "Iqbal" is available on Cool Toad. Download and listen to it. Its damn cool!
2) In these times when Team India is going great guns firing, movies like this kindle the fire all the more! Go, Team India, Go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home