The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Affaire De Camera

Someone asked me today what camera I use. My immediate response was the name of the camera that I use currently. Question came back to me. And before that?

And that started this trip. Of my affair with cameras. And here I am listing down all the models that I have been associated with.


My first was a Voigtländer Perkeo II. It belonged to my late grandfather, and dates back to WW2 days. Released in 1939, I am not sure how my grandfather got this one. But he did use it quite a lot. I guess the love for photography (& many others including love for cars, driving skills, geology/geography, handwriting, architecture and reading) must have come down to me from him only. It had rectractable lens chamber built inside a bellow. You can read more about this vintage camera series on this link. After much use, a thin tear appeared in the bellow fabric (which I think was paper) and the camera got packed into its leather casing. It was then kept in a shelf and remains there till date. I intend to get it cleaned and renovated sometime. And maybe even use it occasionally. Just for kicks.

The second was a point and click 35mm variety. Nothing much to write about. It had 2X optical zoom, was battery operated and showed how many photos have been clicked. However my hands used to long for ones that had 3X and more zoom, could imprint the date on the film and had shutter advance protection (the one that prevented double exposure on the same part of the film).


Then, as the cost of using films slowly became prohibitive and we had advanced pretty much into the computer age, I decided to go digital. And the first one was a Toshiba PDR M25. 2Megapixel, 3X optical zoom and some good features like Night Potrait, Macro etc, used a Smartmedia card. The only reason why I decided to move from this camera was its speed. Sometimes my photo-frame used to vanish away by the time the shutter got released. I had to sell it off. This camera stayed with me from Oct 2002 till March 2003.


The next was a very innovative camera with its lens construction being fully internal. March 2003 - August 2003. The Minolta Dimage X. 2 Megapixels, 2X optical zoom, SD card, very crisp, had those mandatory modes - night shot, landscape, macro etc. But these were via menu. Much less options via buttons. It was fast enough. Best aspect was that it was as slim as a cigarette case. I bet this was the one that launched the slim camera race in the digital still camera world. This camera allowed me to experiment only so much as it permitted, and I wished for more.


The next camera was something that I had deeply wished for. All the experimentation possibilities (sparing a few which are possible only with a SLR) were available at my disposal. The Canon Powershot G2 from the Pro range. It was what they called as a "Prosumer" camera. And with this, I had all the photographic fun since Aug 2003. It has only 3X optical zoom but a host of features that allow you to practically do anything you want. It also has provision to fit on adapter lens - wideangle or telephoto. It has the manual mode for your personalised touch. This uses the Compact Flash memory cards.


Like they say, man is never satisfied and his wants are only increasing. Same goes with me too. I am now looking in the digital SLR range. And which one would be that? Canon EOS Rebel XT 350D. Nothing less. But it costs a bomb! Someday I would have enough to pamper myself with a complete kit. And what might I click first? The Moon and its craters. I have been wanting to do it ever since 8th grade when I first learnt about the Moon in detail.

Did you also realise that when it comes to still cameras, Canon literally rules the market space? Oh yes, it does. Still camera and Canon have been synonymous with each other. And once a Canon, always a Canon. So, when you are looking out for a camera - simply Canon for it. :-) I bet you cannot be disappointed.

Happy Clicking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home