The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Did you know there was a Red Panda?

I saw this news item on CNN-IBN and I began to wonder about nature's unknown bounds. I had never known about a "Red Panda". A Google Image search yields quite a lot of results and the animals beats a vague resemblance to a Racoon. I am even more alarmed about its rarity. As such the pandas (the white ones) are just on the precipice of extinction, red ones are even more.

IBNLive : Brothers film Red Panda, win award

Now, thanks to Ajay and Vijay, there is atleast a film of this elusive rare animal. I would love to see this movie some day.

Another startling fact is that there are passionate wildlife movie makers like these in India. I never knew of other Indian wild life movie makers. Or you can say that, thanks to the cable tv invasion and presence of channels like Nat Geo, Discovery and Animal Planet, we rarely get to see wild life movies made by Indians. Nat Geo sometimes plays the movie of "Snow Leopards" which is made by an Indian. I love watching that movie. Catch it on Nat Geo sometime...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Sweden, there is a famous zoo called as Parken Zoo. Its at a place called EskilStuna some 100 kms to the west of Stockholm. Red Pandas are there!

Here is a link for some pictures of red panda, and other animals as well
http://www.parkenzoo.se/gallery.htm

Mon Apr 10, 12:01:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Shruthi said...

I have seen the Red Panda in the Darjeeling zoo - I heard that it is probably the only zoo in India to house these creatures - and they are really adorable creatures.

Wed Apr 12, 02:41:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home