The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Chalo Delhi

I am off to Delhi with family from 7th till the 10th. I have official work till 12pm on 8th and after that I am on my own. So, I intend to use the time to the best possible use. Tour. :-)

The last time I went to Delhi, I was probably 5-6 years old and it was peak winter in Delhi. Too cold to venture out. Moreover family was there to attend a wedding ceremony. From that age, you barely remember anything at all. I do remember that we did not go anywhere. So, in this trip, I want to make the most of it.

My general plan is like this.

Friday (after 12pm)
Akshardham - 2 hours
Bahai Lotus Temple - 1 hour
Drive by other prominent locales - Red Fort, India Gate, Rashtrapati Bhavan etc. I may stop at India Gate though. I am kind of mesmerized by it. Esp after the drive-by scene in the movie Rang De Basanti.
Eat at Delhi Haat. (will try!)
Travel in the Delhi Metro...whenever possible!

Saturday
Take the DTDC tour to Agra and Fatehpur Sikri in their A/c Bus.

Sunday
Qutub Minar - 2 hours
Shopping @ Ajmal Khan St., Karol Bagh - XX hours (can anyone put a limit? hehehe)
Eat at Delhi Haat (if not done on Friday)

Any suggestions to the above list?

I do have a few friends from Delhi and I asked them what to do and what not to do. Prominent among those was to keep from using private transport or using the services of an unauthorized person. Even the best get cheated, it seems! Any more tips that you can share?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaj,
Visit Akshardam after 5.30. They have a laser show from 6.30 onwards. It is onething that you mustnt miss. And remember, they dont allow you to take photos within akshardham :)

And visit vrindavan and mathura. Do check out the krishna janmabhoomi and spend sometime in that jail room. Dont miss that experience!

Mon Dec 04, 09:17:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rubic_Cube said...

Prabhu: I thought they allowed photography inside Akshardham. I did look at pics clicked by aam junta on Flickr. Just search for Akshardham on Flickr. Also, with a small child with me, and the cold setting in, I am not sure if I would wait till 5:30. :-) Constraints!

Vrindavan/Mathura: Am not too sure if I would be visiting this place. Am reserving it for another visit.

Thanks for comments!

Mon Dec 04, 10:38:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Rubic_Cube said...

Prabhu: checked Akshardham website. You are right. No camera, camcorder, digital media etc etc allowed. Chk www.akshardham.com site. Flickr users have taken pics from this site and uploaded in their profiles.

Mon Dec 04, 10:57:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home