The Gift of GaB

My rants, writings, outpourings, musings and whatever else can be penned/typed down!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

ghoti = fish

My grandfather and myself were discussing something about English language when the discussion turned towards pronunciation. In came George Bernand Shaw. He had laid a lot of emphasis on pronunciation. Infact, after he passed away, he left a lot of estate for some research on English language. Anyways... it all culminated in the above equation. The word "ghoti" can be pronounced as "fish". Puzzled? Even I was... until my grandfather explained how it can be done so.

ghoti = gh + o + ti

Say the "gh" like in "cough". It sounds like "f".
Say the "o" like in "women" (wimen). It sounds like "i".
Say the "ti" like in "condition". It sounds like "sh".

Let's put them together. f + i + sh. There you go...

GHOTI = FISH!

:-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Harish said...

I've seen an episode of Batman where he solves a mystery with the same decoding! :)

Sat Nov 26, 06:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant !!!

Mon Nov 28, 03:23:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home